Last year I had hopes of completing the Tim Holtz monthly tag challenge. Towards the end of the year, I was just collecting ideas but had stopped even trying. I ended up holding on to 2 ideas that I wanted to try. Neither one has become a completed tag but I did play with the two techniques I wanted to try.
I should note that both techniques were the backgrounds to his tags.
The first was a collage of scrapbook paper pieces that were covered with a crackle medium and then distressed with distress crayons.
Since I just wanted to play with the collage idea, I went with flowers from a garden catalog.
I’ve previously had some success with creating a crackle using glue that you paint over with acrylic paint while wet. I had hoped that the paint wasn’t necessary but it seems like it must be because my glue did not crackle but it added a nice glaze to my collage.
I used oil pastels and the glue created a resist that gave the pastels a more crayon/sketchy look (it also allowed me to completely wipe away any pastel not where I wanted it).
Not sure I will repeat this particular experiment exactly but I did like the final result.
The second technique involved stamping on burlap and using that for the background. I have some burlap ribbon in red that I thought would be fun to play with. However, I couldn’t get the black ink to be very dynamic on the fabric. I went with stamping with bleach. While it didn’t give me clear images, I loved the result. I used a foam sponge brush to add bleach to areas not covered by the stamp.
Then I went about sewing the burlap onto the tag. I did add some glue to hold the burlap but far enough from the edge that I wasn’t sewing through glue.
I took a piece of cross stitch plastic and used it to pre punch my holes for my hand stitching. I thought hand stitching would look better but I probably should have used a more contrasting color for the thread.
Here’s the back of my stitching:
I love the final results for both tags. I wish I had an idea to finish them but I don’t so they will go back into the tag pile until I decide to do something more than keep them as examples.
For me, the most important part was playing with these ideas. If I had a complete picture in mind, I most likely wouldn’t have felt like I could fiddle as much as I did with these. I got to just play with the ideas and a lot of time that is what I love best about creating.