Tags

, , , ,

This weekend, I decided to catch up on the Tim Holtz tag challenges.  I’m several months behind.  I’ve been thinking about skipping them but there are a few techniques that I want to figure out.  I wasn’t too successful but these experiments were fun.  I used my homemade alcohol inks.

To start with, Tim Holtz had an ink applicator that I was sure I could recreate.  And it was easy.  I used E-6000 glue to attach a spool to a piece of wood.

img_20161002_193125

Then I added a piece of velcro.

img_20161002_193139

Cut cheap felt to the right size and attached to the velcro.

img_20161002_193158

Easy peasy, except I don’t know how it compares to the real thing.  I used it on a piece of manilla paper.  I will say that one of the issues I had with all these experiments is that my ink absorbed into the paper almost immediately.  None of these experiments came out satisfactory.

I do want to note that I really liked the edge (see left side of paper).  It’s hard to see but it edged the paper nicely and I like the texture of the ink.  I don’t think it’s a failure.  Now I just have to decide where I want to go from here.

img_20161003_195839

For one month’s tag, Tim Holtz used a brayer to apply ink.  I’m thinking his brayer must be plastic or plastic coated because my wooden one loved the ink.  It took a lot of ink to get what little I was able to get on these three examples.

img_20161003_195714

The last experiment was supposed to be like marbling using ink on a plastic surface and pulling the paper through.  It’s a fun look but not exactly marbled.  I tried adding extra water.  The ones that look less polka dot had the water.  Again, fun technique and neat backgrounds but not what I was hoping for.

img_20161003_195801

img_20161003_195825

I’m not quite ready to close the door on these tags or experiments.  I’m thinking I’ll try with paint and perhaps a gelli plate (if I can remember what I did with mine).  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Advertisements