Tags

, , , , ,

IMG_20160722_164522

I didn’t think I’d get the prep work completed and then this happened – I gessoed the very last page.  Later, my husband found one I missed but that didn’t matter.

IMG_20160725_154323

The purpose of this project is to make a keepsake recipe book for my son.  For some recipes, I hand wrote them in the book.  I picked recipes I knew he loved as well as memory recipes that he may not love as much but have been passed down in the family or were ones he loved as a child.

IMG_20160725_154341

To simplify the project, I opted to print some of the more complicated recipes or ones that just seemed to be more writing than I wanted to do.  This gave me the opportunity to leave some empty space so he can write his own notes on the recipes.

There were plenty of blank pages so he can add his own recipes whether printed or hand written.

IMG_20160725_154517

Because I didn’t love the pockets I had made, I cut them out.  It was actually a better decision because I was able to create a little more space at the front of the book.  I made a paper pocket.  In this case, I made my top cut backward so the high part was toward the edges so the seam would be hidden against the book page.  I, also, made “sides” so the pocket had extra space for cards and notes.  Since it was currently empty, I stuffed it with some index cards.  He can choose to remove them to add different cards and papers or use the index cards.  The cards can either be returned to the pocket or attached to one of the pages.

IMG_20160726_161359

Because I am always saving pages in my cookbooks and this one does not have an index, I added 5 ribbons and weighted them with beads.  I attached them to the spine, before adding my cover, with some tacky glue and electrical tape.

IMG_20160726_161419

I debated on how fancy I should go with the cover.  I went rather boring but it does give my son an opportunity to enhance it himself.  All this is is kraft paper that I went and crumpled up.  I recommend letting it dry completely before attaching.  I was impatient and attached it while still damp and ended up with tears.  In the end, the tears worked but it was a pain.

The original book’s design had a black page what was attached to the inside cover and created the first and last pages.  I know I am not describing that well but you can see the page on the first picture of this post.  Once I had attached my cover, I opted to glue that black page down to cover the seams from the book cover.  It worked beautifully.  Originally, I was going to add scrapbook paper but this made it so easy because it was the perfect size.  It gave the inside of my cover a rather professional look.

To finish it, I rubbed black and brown ink pads over the paper.  Because I didn’t wait there were not as many ridges on my paper to catch the ink but I love the end result.  It already looks like a family heirloom and I have this hope that it will become one.

Advertisements