Tags

, , , , , , , ,

I forgot to give an update for the February tags when I gave my monthly report.  It was really okay because I was still a little stumped with one.  To see what I had done go here.  I hate it when I title a post part one and then never finish.  Sorry.

So I did get them both done and I love them.

IMG_20160213_105444_2

This is the one with the clay background.  I went with a painted wooden heart and make a little saying (that I completely made up on the spot – how’s that for you).  Since it was so cute and I had a little oops on the bottom.  I cut off the bottom and slapped it on a card base.  I loved it so much that I gave to my husband for Valentine’s Day.  He said it was the best card I ever made.

IMG_20160310_122639_1

This one had me puzzled.  I started thinking about going with a set of shoes or footprints but that just wasn’t working out.  The other day, I was looking at clip art of shoes when an old illustration from the Wizard of Oz popped up.  I remembered I had in my clip art stash a bunch of illustrations.  This is the one I choose, it’s the opening page of The Wizard of Oz.  It introduces Dorothy and her life on the farm.  I just loved the look of her looking out at the world.  The phrase I was going to use was something like “It’s best to start at the beginning.”  This had that same feel.  I added the ribbon so carefully because I used recycled paper from another project.  It had a very thin spot from tape being removed at the top so I attached the ribbon and then glued it into place.

IMG_20160310_122415

One thing I want to share from that is I used the “scraps” around my foam dots.  It worked wonderfully and now I have more foam tape than I started with.

March’s tag is a multi-layered card that had me excited from the beginning.  I loved all the different techniques and the ideas it inspired.  I opted to go with an Asian theme for mine.

IMG_20160309_131513_1

This first layer was heat embossed with Chinese writing.  It’s actually sideways because my stamp wasn’t wide enough but since this will peek through the other layer, I didn’t think it would be a problem.

After the embossing, I rubbed the whole thing with a red oil pastel.  Then I took a baby wipe to smooth it out and remove the red from the white embossing.  That didn’t quite work since the oil pastel stuck more firm than I had expected.

IMG_20160309_131855_2

So I went over it with some soft pastel in yellow to give it a red/gold look.  It’s actually more pink/yellow than I had planned but I love it.

The cardboard layer was harder than I expected.  I started with cutting out two large fans (like Tim’s butterflies) and it was terrible.  So I went back to the drawing board and remembered that I had an Asian inspired stencil.

IMG_20160310_122928

I went with cherry blossoms which fit better with that pink background I ended up with.  This is just a piece of recycled cardboard.  The original plan had me drawing and cutting on the same side I was to remove the outer layer.  As I was cutting, I realized that I got a better cut on the top and if I removed the opposite layer it came out better.  My lines weren’t a problem because this was the side glued to the bottom layer.

I did this slowly, starting with the branches.  I did draw on the top flower (wished I had drawn them all) so I would get an idea of placement for the flowers.

IMG_20160310_125038_1

I used an exacto knife to cut out my shapes.  I went slow and trimmed with scissors where I could to keep my shape as “perfect” as possible.

IMG_20160310_131648

It dawned on me that I should take a picture of the final result after cutting but I had already put on the glue when that thought came to me.  As you can see I applied the glue to the side I had been cutting on.

IMG_20160310_132336_2

Once I had the back firmly in place, I removed the (now) top layer of the cardboard.  The goal was to keep it distressed and random.

I thought it needed a little something so I rubbed some red soft pastel over the cardboard.  Then I added a few Chinese characters in gold sharpie.  None of it was perfect because they were just accents.

IMG_20160310_133128

To finish, I glued on a red ribbon and a metal Chinese coin.  I may have to go back and reattach the coin with hot glue since I only have tacky glue in my office.  (Yes, I craft at work when I have some down time.)

I almost think this is my favorite one so far.

Advertisements