Tags

, , , , , , , ,

We had acquired a collection of cheap plastic globe ornaments a few years ago.  They weren’t exactly pretty but I had no desire to throw them out.  We had one tube of larger colored globes (baseball sized) and a bag of gold and silver that were smaller (golf ball sized).

I took the smaller ornaments and decorated this plate.  All I did was print out a coloring page, colored with pencils and glitter glue, attach it to the center of a plate and hot glued the ornaments.  Since there was extra space, I wrapped some gold tinsel garland between the ornaments.

004 1

I loved the plate but it was a pain to store and display.  This year when I pulled it out, I noticed a few of the ornaments had started to fall off.  I attempted to fix it but it was a disaster.  Some of the ornaments cracked and developed holes, that could have been hidden if I could have gotten them back on the plate without upsetting the whole project.  Then the paper tore and I was done.

I removed all the ornaments.  About half had holes in them.  Instead of throwing them out, I decided to experiment with them.  Because it was completely an experiment with no real direction, I didn’t think to take pictures (sorry).  Hopefully, you can figure this out.  This will work for damaged ornaments but they don’t have to be damaged.

I opted to “paper mache” the ornaments using tissue paper and watered down glue.  This particular tissue paper is very much like kleenex, it has a very similar texture but craft tissue paper would work just as well.  I tore the paper into random pieces.  Then applied the glue to the globes.  It was just a process of one and then the other.  The tissue paper has to all be wet to stick completely.  I kept the paper crinkled so it would cover the hole.

010

Now, you don’t have to follow my coloring technique.  Add glitter or make the globes into snowballs or snowmen or paint a solid color.  I’ve been experimenting with homemade alcohol inks so that’s what I used.  I dripped the ink on the ornaments until I had them completely covered.  I wasn’t sure I loved the result but my family did.  They remind me of an ornament my mom bought when I was a kid but my family likes that they are tie dyed.

To finish up, coat with mod podge.  This will seal in your color but also provide that extra protection for the areas that are gaping holes.  When I was finished, we couldn’t tell the difference between the broken ones and the not broken ones.

Here are the finished ornaments on that tree we “trimmed” for the tree dress.

004

The remaining tube of ornaments needed a purpose.  I liked the idea of an ornament wreath.  I started with a wire form from Dollar Tree.  It was a little more open than I had planned for so I thought about adding ribbon.  It wasn’t working the way I wanted.  Then I remembered all those “rag” wreath designs.  So I raided the ribbon stash and cut strips.  I loved the end result.

For the ornaments, I started by gluing the tops.  Because they are cheap, the little top part kept coming off.  The glue keeps the ornaments from separating.  I attached them with a bit of chenille stem.

This is a great wreath project.  It’s easy and you can find everything to make it at Dollar Tree if necessary.  It took maybe an hour to tie all the ribbon to the form but that was the “hardest” part.  I sat and watched tv while I put it together.

It was nice to make a dent, no matter how small, in my ribbon stash and use up some ornaments that I had no idea what I was going to do with.

001

I hope this inspires you to put those globe ornaments to work on other things aside from the tree.

Advertisements